Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Out with the old, in with the new

With GITEX Shopper going on it seems the perfect time to talk about what to do with electronic or e-waste. What's GITEX, you ask? Only the biggest tech exhibition in the Gulf. Well, that's what the press releases and Wiki page say. I haven't visited the actual venue, so I can't comment on the size.
Commerce and trade are good things, the backbone of the global economy. But what happens to the waste generated by an increase in commerce? (And trade.)
Ah. The million dollar (or 10000 AED which I did not win) question.
There are companies that offer exchanges: you drop off an old phone or other device and get a voucher in exchange, or a discount on a new gadget. Jacky's and Carrefour here offer such exchanges.
I know that Nokia promises to plant a tree for every phone that is returned to them- but that could be in India only. Yes, people still use Nokia phones. Forgive us for not being able to afford iPhones. (I'm sticking my tongue out at you for judging me.)
What happens to the old gadgets? The old monitors, Blackberries (or is it BlackBerrys?), external Hard Drives (I'm still amazed by the existence of 1TB HDs) etc?
I don't know. But I do know that there are people who are authorised to collect such stuff. Perhaps you could give it to them and not risk heavy metals and chemicals leaching into the earth. 
And that is today's shade.
Gandhi Jayanti today (the birth anniversary of M.K. Gandhi, also known as the Mahatma). He was the one who said "Be the change". Just be it! (Nike can't sue me, can they?)

Cos that have something to do with E-waste: Enviroserve, UAE (corporate); Bee'ah, UAE; Group TenPlus, Goa, India.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Greetings, citizens of the world! We are united by planet and species, so what say we do our best to look after our handfuls of earth?