Tuesday, September 18, 2012

On the auspicious day that is today

I can't believe I'm missing Ganesh Chaturthi this year! No modaks (yummy envelopes of rice flour shaped like Hershey's kisses, filled with coconut and jaggery), no fruit, no shankar pali! Nahiiiiiin, cries the Bollywood heroine inside me.
I've read in a number of articles that the festival is an eco-friendly one. Well, I suppose it used to be.  I know it encourages people to be, what with Shravan coming before it. Back in Goa, it was only recently decided to ban Plaster of Paris (PoP) statues. Why? Because clay is so much more environmentally-friendly. For those of you who don't know, the idol of Ganesh is immersed in a pond, river, or the sea at the end of the festival period (anywhere from a day and a half to 21 days). Clay disintegrates in water, but PoP does not. One year, the capital city, Panjim, had pots to drop garlands into so that they wouldn't litter the beach etc and could be disposed of properly. I hope they take the same measures this year too.

At Mocha Mojo, Bandra
A shade inspired by Ganesh: Celebrate in as sustainable a manner as possible. Use old glass jars for beverages, eat off banana leaves (it's a custom that people return to especially at the time of festivals.) Get decorations that are made from recycled bits and bobs: a CD chandelier, perhaps? Eat off bagasse plates- Susty Party has sustainable party supplies. Regular plates are good too, but most of us baulk at the washing up after. I understand. Been there, baulked at that. FYI, Ganesh is considered the remover of obstacles. May he make dish washing post the party easy!
And in the shade of a coconut tree... Here's wishing AnnMarie a Happy Bday! I still have to make you something. Modaks?
The girl who took me to MM



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Greetings, citizens of the world! We are united by planet and species, so what say we do our best to look after our handfuls of earth?