Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Little blue book


I wrote and printed a book for my littlest cousin.
Before you criticize the waste of paper, or electricity, read about the evolution of the book:
EVENT.
My cousin tells me he ordered a book (from Flipkart) about how to save the world. (Hmm. Just realized this is a fact I did not check.)
You might not understand this, but the possibility of his caring gladdened my heart.
IDEA.
I decide to write him a letter about the little things he can do, as first steps towards saving the world. Based on past experiences with things I’d written for his elder brothers, I know my handwriting is not the easiest to read. Therefore, type. Mum offers to assist. (Thanks, Mum)
ACTION.
And then I think- how cool would it be to have a book with your name in it?
(I mean, I know how excited I get when I see my name on screen, or in print. I’m not usually the person being referred to, but I still get a kick out of it. Wouldn’t a 10-year old?)
Therefore, book.

It’s a slim volume, printed on waste paper. I used my sister’s old colors to jazz it up a little. So, yes- I used resources to create the book, but I also tried to compensate.
Big green possibility: Once I give it to him, it could help make him a wee eco-hero.10042012421.jpg


Let’s face it- the only thing that doesn’t generate any negative environmental impact is not doing anything, including breathing. I’m not ready to kill myself for the planet yet. And while I’m here, I’m going to do what I can. 
I’m going to write.
I’m going to walk.
I’m going to take the bus/ train.
I’m going to stitch little bags.
I’m going to make it my business to know about the world I live in. And protect it. And photograph it. Today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Greetings, citizens of the world! We are united by planet and species, so what say we do our best to look after our handfuls of earth?